Friday, January 30, 2009

It finally happened...

This has been a challenging week in the Peddle house. Erik was sick for a couple days and now I have it. It never seems fair that Erik can recover so quickly and I seem to take at least a week no matter what. Well, needless to say my energy level has plummited. 
Last night we were watching our new favorite show NCIS. Jake was sitting on my lap and we were just watching him. I was feeling particularly exhausted. And then it happened... He smiled. Our little guy looked up at us, opened his mouth and smiled. It didn't last very long, but it didn't matter. It was so special that both Erik and I were there to see it. This may not seem like a big deal to many of you, but to us it meant the world. 

After some very long days and nights we needed a little something to raise our spirits. I just have to wonder if God sent this little angel to us to give us a real picture of how He loves and sustains us. At the very moment when we're tired and not feeling like we can go on, maybe He whispered to little Jake that now was the time to give us this precious gift. 

 My first "mom moment" was when Jake came into the world and I heard his first cry. I couldn't see anything because I had a C-section, but just knowing that he was breathing was enough for me. I teared up a bit. It was such a relief that he was alive and healthy. This was my second "mom moment." I know that there are so many more to come. The only way I can describe it is gut wrenching joy. All of a sudden the earth stands still and you think that you must be the luckiest person on earth to have had a moment like that. 

1 comment:

  1. What a precious post, Elizabeth! Aren't baby smiles just the greatest? We look forward to hearing you share of many more moments that you will have with sweet Jake. Hopefully you are all back to full health now. Way to go with taking the 4am feedings, Erik!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment on something.